Our session consisting of 12 elders and moderated by Pastor Matt oversees the work and mission of First Presbyterian Church. They meet monthly to monitor the activities of the committees of the church.
The Session met via Zoom on Monday, September 21 at 7 pm and the following actions were taken:
- Approved asking the congregation to donate money for the purpose of providing gift cards for 30 approved families in lieu of Christmas Baskets.
- Approved adding the following to the job description of the churchcustodian: Four weeks/80 hours of paid vacation retroactive to January 1, 2020.
- Approved clearing the 2019 fund clearing ledger balances as proposed by the church treasurer. This includes $1,720.53 designated for historical/archive work, which will be available for future use in this area.
- Approved calling a congregational meeting via Zoom on Sunday, October 11th at 9:30 am, for the purpose of electing IanthaFraser and Diane Zimmer to serve as elders in the class of 2022, and allowing for the election of another elder for the vacancy in the Class of 2023.
- Approved commissioning an Examination Committee for the purpose of examining incoming elders for membership on session.
- Designated Paul Stutesman, Pat Hyden, and Don Chesebro to attend the virtual Presbytery meeting on October 16th, 2020.
August Financial Report
Year-to-Date Income $209,120
Year-to-Date Budgeted $249,287
Year-to-Date Expense $218,386
Year-to-Date Budgeted $254,934
Hello everyone from your Stewardship Committee. This is the time of year we customarily approach you to talk about per capita and invite you to contribute toward the cost of supporting the larger church and its mission in the world. Each congregation is assessed a per capita amount for each member, this money goes to fund the work of our Presbytery, Synod, and General Assembly. We include per capita in our budget, but as a Stewardship Committee we are asking each member to consider contributing their annual per capita to offset this expense, which is about $50.00 per member in 2020.
This year our denomination, especially the Northwest Coast Presbytery, has been particularly integral in helping us navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic. One example: our Presbytery is offering grants of up to $1,000 per congregation to help with technology costs to bring worship services online. Through this program we have purchased a camera and other equipment that has enabled us to improve the quality of our online services. They have also provided support and guidance to our Ppastor and Session as we deal with difficult issues around COVID-19.
The Presbyterian Church U.S.A. (PCUSA) is nearly 10,000 congregations and mid councils that participate and share in the work of the wider church. Per capita is the primary source of funding for the Office of the General Assembly, and how Presbyterians mutually and equitably share the costs of coming together to discern the Spirit’s leading for the future. We are designating May as Per Capita month. If you choose to participate in this way, please mail yourcontribution to the church office (139 West 8th Street, Port Angeles, WA 98362). Please put “Per Capita” on your check.
Thanks be to God!