Our session consisting of 12 elders and moderated by Pastor Matt oversees the work and mission of First Presbyterian Church. They meet monthly to monitor the activities of the committees of the church.
The Session met via Zoom on Monday, September 21 at 7 pm and the following actions were taken:
- Approved creation of a 2021 Capital Budget separate from the Operating Budget. The Building, Grounds and Property Committee would create the Capital Budget. The Capital Budget would be funded by
reserves in the General Fund.
- Stewardship Committee informed the Session of plans for the 2021 Stewardship Campaign to begin in October with a letter sent out to the congregation. Commitment Sunday is November 8.
- Discussed sending a survey to congregants to gauge their desire/readiness to return to in-person worship. Paul Mattson has offered to help design the survey, with responses given to Session to help determine when in-person worship will resume.
- Approved holding a prayer service weekly, starting on November 10, 2020. This is contingent upon Clallam County remaining below 26 cases/100,000 people.
- Approved setting the ordination/installation service for Iantha Frazer and Diane Zimmer for Sunday, October 25, 2020 at 11:00 am via Zoom.
SEPTEMBER FINANCIAL REPORT
Year-to-Date Income: $235,927
Year-to-Date Budgeted: $280,447
Year-to-Date Expenses: $248,811
Year-to-Date Budgeted: $286,801
Hello everyone from your Stewardship Committee. This is the time of year we customarily approach you to talk about per capita and invite you to contribute toward the cost of supporting the larger church and its mission in the world. Each congregation is assessed a per capita amount for each member, this money goes to fund the work of our Presbytery, Synod, and General Assembly. We include per capita in our budget, but as a Stewardship Committee we are asking each member to consider contributing their annual per capita to offset this expense, which is about $50.00 per member in 2020.
This year our denomination, especially the Northwest Coast Presbytery, has been particularly integral in helping us navigate through the COVID-19 pandemic. One example: our Presbytery is offering grants of up to $1,000 per congregation to help with technology costs to bring worship services online. Through this program we have purchased a camera and other equipment that has enabled us to improve the quality of our online services. They have also provided support and guidance to our Ppastor and Session as we deal with difficult issues around COVID-19.
The Presbyterian Church U.S.A. (PCUSA) is nearly 10,000 congregations and mid councils that participate and share in the work of the wider church. Per capita is the primary source of funding for the Office of the General Assembly, and how Presbyterians mutually and equitably share the costs of coming together to discern the Spirit’s leading for the future. We are designating May as Per Capita month. If you choose to participate in this way, please mail yourcontribution to the church office (139 West 8th Street, Port Angeles, WA 98362). Please put “Per Capita” on your check.
Thanks be to God!