STEP UP TO STEWARDSHIP
More thoughts from Pastor Rick Warren
Giving and Faith Go Together
“…God uses finances to test your faith all the time. Have you ever had to decide between paying a bill and tithing? This is a test of your priorities. It’s a test of your love. But most importantly, it’s a test of your faith. Do you really trust God to provide for you if you put him first in your life?”
“God cares about the attitude we have toward giving. If our giving isn’t based on faith, why give? Hebrews 11:6 tells us that ‘without faith it is impossible to please God.’ God wants our hearts when we tithe.”
Rick continues, “There are two ways to give: You can give by reason, or you can give by revelation. To give by reason is to figure out reasonably what you think you can give, and that doesn’t require any faith at all. Even an atheist can do it. When you give by revelation, you let God reveal to you what he wants you to give in faith. It means you pray and ask, ‘God, how much do you want me to trust you for this time?’ Then you do whatever He tells you to do. This is giving by faith, and it helps you to grow, mature, and become more like Christ!”
In this New Year, let’s make a resolution for revelation and match our giving with our faith.
TIME, TALENT, and TREASURES COMMITTEE
It's responsibilities are to oversee the church's finances, conduct pledge drives, and provide stewardship education.
SESSION OCTOBER NEWS
The Session met on Monday, December 11, 2017 and took the following actions:
- Reviewed and accepted the Financial Report through November 2017.
- Welcomed new Elder, Bruce Emory
- Approved, with regret, the resignation of Gary McRoberts as a member of Session.
- Set the number of members to serve on the Pastor Nominating Committee (PNC) at 7 committee members will be elected at the Annual Congregational meeting on January 28, 2018. There will be a single service at 10AM, followed by the Annual Meeting, and a lunch.
- It was recommended that Christian Education classes be held from 9AM to 9:45AM that morning.
- Approved the request from Marilyn Mattie to transfer her membership to the First Presbyterian Church in Socorro, New Mexico.
- Approved Pastor Wendy’s vacation from December 26, 2017 to January 2, 2018.
- Approved Paul Mattson to serve as pulpit supply on December 31.
- There will be a Session Retreat in January to finish work on the Church’s Organizational Manual
- The next Session meeting will be Monday, January 15 at 7PM.
THE STATE OF OUR STEWARDSHIP
We are pleased to report that the church's financial state and physical plant are both in good condition. We are blessed with a joyfully generous congregation, not only in its temporal giving, but also those who remember the church in their individual estate planning.